It’s nearly time to move!
When you buy an Urban Union property, it’s important that you plan ahead for your big move to ensure everything runs smoothly and you aren’t stuck without any utilities! Planning ahead rather than leaving everything to the last minute will make life much easier in the long run.
If you haven’t been given a fixed completion date, we will try and give you as much practical notice as possible of your home being ready. So as soon as you’ve reserved your new home, start thinking about moving day.
First, get a quote for removals and make sure you also obtain quotes for insurance cover for your move if your insurance company either doesn’t provide this or you are using a freelance mover.Second, talk to your gas and electricity suppliers about your move and arrange to supply final meter readings.
With this in mind find the best utilities provider – there are several comparison sites that will help you to find the best deal for your gas and electricity. It can take some time to find the best deal so do this after reservation rather than when you move.
Once you have a moving date you will need to inform the following organisations about your new address:
- Doctor & Dentist
- Breakdown provider
- Post office – arrange a redirection in advance
- Cable and telephone supplier
During the time you are in your existing property and are about to move there are several things you can do to make the move easier.
Throw away anything you no longer require and donate clothes to charity or sell them online, pack up non-essential items that you won’t need for some time. Also remember to consider your pets – will you require someone to look after them on the day of the move?
One week prior to moving:
- Pack up non-essential items.
- Arrange care for your pets.
- Cancel any deliveries – newspaper, food boxes, milk, subscriptions etc.
- Defrost your fridge freezer.
Day before move:
- Complete packing apart from bedding and essentials.
- Decide where to place important valuables during the move.
- Confirm details with your removal company.
- Pack bedding and essentials.
- Turn off water, gas meter, boiler and appliances.
- Disconnect the cooker.
- Make a note of your meter readings for gas and electricity.
- Check you have left nothing behind and lock up.
- Arrange for the key handover.
Keep to hand:
- Mugs and teaspoon.
- Tea, coffee, sugar & biscuits.
- Cleaning items.
- Toilet tissue.